5000-year-old tradition, Gimpo Golden Rice
Gimpo rice is cultivated on a fertile wide plains around Hangang River and, in the old times, it was featured in kings’ royal meals, boasting a history of 5,000 years. It is lustrous and clean without kernels. Gimpo Geumssal (Gimpo Golden Rice) is originated from Geompo-hyeon, which is the old name of Gimpo. The ancient Korean tome Dongguk yeoji seungnam (Augmented Survey of the Geography of Korea) states, “Gimpo borders the downstream of Hangang on the north with flat, fertile land so it is a good place for people to live”, suggesting that Gimpo has long been an abundant granary with fruitful land that is suitable for farming.
Advantages of Gimpo rice
- Under a peninsula climate with Hangang River and Yellow Sea nearby, temperature differences between day and night during the fall season are large and the period and temperature at which rice matures is suitable for bearing good fruition of the rice
- Suitable temperature during a rice-maturing period: 21~23℃ → average temperature of Gimpo: 22.0℃
- Suitable daily temperature difference during a rice-maturing period: 6~10℃ → average daily temperature difference of Gimpo: 10.1℃
- Only using plentiful, clean water as agricultural water
- Mixed river alluvial soil makes the soil fertile
※ Mixed river alluvial soil: A type of transported soil formed when a river is flooded onto a coast and carries the soil from the upstream to deposit it. The alluvial soil carried by a river is called river alluvial soil, and it is consisted of pebbles, sand, mud, clay, etc. and forms alluvial plains, most of which are used as farming land.
Gimpo golden rice’s acquisition of geographical indication certification
- What is geographical indication system?
A system to indicate a product specially manufactured in a specific region, if the status, quality and other characteristics of an agricultural produce and processed goods represent the geographical characteristics of the region
- Date registered : 07.11.2011
- Registration number : No. 79
- Registered by : Gimpo Golden Rice Association
- Registered name : Gimpo Rice (Chujeong Level 1)
- Expected effects
- Improved brand awareness thanks to a national certification acquired to prove the status of Gimpo rice
- Securing reliability of customers for the quality and safety of Gimpo rice
Delicious Gimpo golden rice is produced as follows
- Only the delicious kinds, including Chujeong rice and Koshihikari rice, are manufactured.
- Fertilizers are properly applied and it is cultivated in clean water and fertile soil.
|Cheonhyeon Rice Mill
|Lazy Farmer Farming Corp
|Golden Rice Research Society
|Singimpo NACF RPC